Wednesday 26 October 2011

ABC Wednesday: O is for Onward


Onward is the motto of Hyde Corporation.

The Hyde coat of arms is described on the Tameside MBC website as
Argent, a chevron nebuly argent between three lozenges Or; on a chief of the second a flake erect surmounted by a hatter's bow in bend sinister between a cog-wheel and two miners' pick in saltire, therefrom suspended a Davy lamp, all proper. Crest: On a wreath of the colours, Upon a pack of cotton prints azure, banded and semee of mascles Or, a sprig of the cotton-tree, slipped and fructed, in bend sinister surmounted of a shuttle furnished in bend proper. Motto: Onward. Granted: 18 July 1882.

The Arms reflects the reasons for its establishment as an independent town - its industry. Cotton is shown by the cotton pattern and shuttle, coal by the miner's axe and the Davy lamp, and hatting by the hatters bow. The lower part of the shield contained the Arms of the manorial family of Hyde.
This photograph features part of the frieze on the Theatre Royal.

Onward is my own motto too as I try and move forward after my recent stays in hospital. I've an out-patient's appointment next Monday and will know more then. Meanwhile I'm trying to just take things a bit easy.

For more "O" posts visit ABC Wednesday.

16 comments:

  1. a motley assortment of icons!

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw the photograph, before reading your explanation I immediately thought of ornamental or ornate. I must say it is a rather grand coat of arms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found a shipping company named "Hyde" on the Internet. If this is the Hyde Corporation or which you speak, I must saw it's a suitable motto. My ABC Wednesday is O is for Oracle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting coat of arms. Your photograph of it is quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting photo with a huge amount of details. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photo and the generous size of it! The description of it seems to be in English, but reads like the Jabberwocky to me. LOL! It adds to the charm, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moving onward is a great thing!

    Learn some Filipino custom and words with my O entry. Come and see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! and a speedy complete recovey to you.

    O is for..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this motto. It's related to my own personal motto: One step in front of the other.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice photo Gerald, I'm jealous! It's marvellous the shots you can get of features like this which are high up on buildings with a decent telephoto lens. I like the way so many individual pieces have been sculpted into the shape of the coat of arms and fitted together like a large jigsaw puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice Gerald. We learned a bit about heraldry some years ago when Tessa was designing a logo for a company here in town. They liked shields, so we had to learn about them. I sympathize with your health. Winter is hard on all in this house. I learned this year that I have asthma, so my new program should help me get through the winter better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting post and beautiful picture !
    Gattina
    ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the delicate shades and the lovely scrolling shapes. It's beautiful. Sorry to hear all things aren't quite settled. Wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good motto to follow.. Onward !!

    Pheno, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Onward" is a very good motto when it comes to dealing with problems of health. You seem to be doing the right thing, judging from the photo. Wishing you well!

    ReplyDelete