Sunday, 15 February 2015
St George's at sunset
In the foreground is part of St George's C of E Primary School.
Prior to 1831, the Church of England had no place of worship in the township, and for ecclesiastical purposes Hyde was connected with the Parish Church of Stockport, which place many of the inhabitants attended. Others worshipped at Mottram, or at Denton Old Church.
The construction of the church began in 1831 and it was consecrated the following year. St. George's was first formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1843.
Details of the early history of St George's can be found on Old Hyde.
A contribution to Inspired Sundays.