Saturday, 1 November 2014
Landmarks: Hyde Grammar School
The building on Clarendon Road cost £12,000 and was opened as the "New County School" on September 17th 1912, by Sir George Dixon, chairman of the County Council. Large extensions to the building were made and opened in 1929 and at that time the name was changed to the "Hyde Grammar School".
It was for a time a boys only school (see note in the comments section) and closed its doors to 11 year olds in 1979. When the last intake had progressed to the Sixth Form, it became Hyde Sixth Form College. It later merged with Ashton Sixth Form college to form Tameside College after which it was known as Hyde Clarendon Sixth Form College.
Current plans for Tameside College are to transfer all services to a new centre in Ashton under Lyne and then sell the site to a developer for demolition. An e-petition has been launched - Save Hyde Clarendon College from demolition.
More photographs of Hyde Grammar School are on Hyde DP Xtra.
Old photographs of the school and links to some early videos can be found on Old Hyde.
A contribution to the Landmark theme at City Daily Photoblogs.