Sunday, 28 September 2014
Inside St George's Church
Compare this with the view shown in the Annals of Hyde.
The gallery has been removed and the whole nave remodelled. All of the stained glass in the church was lost when a bomb exploded in Church Street in 1940.
Four of the windows on the south side of the church, celebrating apostles, have since been restored. Matthew and Mark were re-instated in 2003 and Luke and John in 2009.
It is hoped to install a restored east window in 2014/15.
Tablets in memory of some church worthies and others, including the Rev Alexander Read, Richard Gilbody, George Middleton, Joseph Artingstoll and John Critchley Prince used to adorn the walls but have not survived.
You can see John Critchley Prince's grave and read about him in our post from 18th September 2013.
A portrait of and copy of the memorial to Joseph Artingstoll can be found on Old Hyde.
A contribution to Inspired Sundays and Whimsical Windows, Delirious Doors.